Mashcat is a loose group of library cataloguers, developers and anyone else with an interest in how library catalogue data can be created, manipulated, used and re-used by computers and software. Our aim is to work together and bridge the communications gap that has sometimes gotten in the way of building the best tools we possibly can to manage library data.
There is no manifesto, but generally we believe that:
- Library data is a Good Thing.
- Library staff creating and improving library data is a Good Thing.
- Library systems is a Good Thing.
- Library data people should be conversing with library systems people (and vice versa).
- It’s time to move past “MARC must die” and throwing pebbles at each other.